Introduction for Suggested New Facilities:
We believe that by building an outdoor Science garden, students of SST would learn more about plants and hydroponics, and maybe even appreciate the beauty of nature. SST is a school that encourages its students to learn in a more hands-on and interactive manner, keeping students engaged and allowing them to learn more effectively. Hence our suggestion to build a Science garden. Not only can experiments and lessons be conducted there, but students may get a chance to try gardening, and it may even serve as a recreational facility for the students to relax in.
Another facility that we suggest should be added would be the observatory as not only would it benefit students in the Astronomy co-curricular activity, but it could be a recreational ground for students during break where they can relax and learn at the same time to get a better grasp of the subject.
We also chose our facilities and it’s venue based on the results of our surveys, which shows that this is not only want we want but what the student body as a whole wants. From our survey, two venues, the left of the ISH and the undeveloped roof, were chosen as the most preferable locations of our two facilities.
We chose to have the observatory on the roof as it would be easier and more logical to have it there for obvious reasons.
The same goes for the outdoor Science garden, which would be located to the left of the ISH, as there is ample space there and grass, which is ideal for gardening, as compared to the concrete flooring of the undeveloped roof.
Outdoor Science Garden
Venue: Left of Indoor Sports Hall (ISH)
(Note: Steps might have to be demolished)
- Empty space to fit one class
- Beds for plants
- Empty beds for Science experiments
- Hydroponics (Approx. $826)
- Installed tap (Approx $20)
- Small tool shed and storage area for maintenance (Approx. $150)
- Seeds (Approx $20)
- Nutrients (Approx. $10)
- Fertiliser (Approx. $20)
Total Cost (Including Hidden Cost of About $20): Approx $1070
Details of Hydroponics:
Model Name: SureGrow 4 Kit SG70
Basic Features: ~ Can take up to 16 plants
~ 20 year guarantee
~ Contains all required components
Note: This kit is the best value for it’s money, so this was picked.
Components of Basic Unit & Additional Materials:
- System ($786 if bought from Singapore)
- Nutrients for plants (Approx. $20)
- Meter for checking and adjustment of pH levels (Approx. $20)
Total: Approx. $826
Tool Shed & Tools:
Cost of Tools: Approx. $50
Cost of small, basic shed: Less than $100
Total: Approx. $150
Venue: Undeveloped Roof
- Telescope (Approx. Average $500 for less professional)
- Observatory (Approx. $2000)
- Desk and chair (Max. $30)
- Astronomical charts
Total (Including Hidden Cost of About $50): Approx. $3000
Based on our survey results, we can conclude that there are several things that can be improved in the MPH. There were some results from the survey we cannot use to improve the MPH as they proved unfeasible. An example would be a suggestion to expand the MPH. This of course is not possible for the layout of Block D is designed in such a way that this suggestion cannot be implemented easily.
Here are the other two things that can be improved in the MPH:
- The audio and speakers in the MPH need to be improved.
- Suggested improvements:
- Adjust the angle in which the speakers face the audience in order to allow the sound waves to better face the audience.
- Get more powerful speakers
- Check all devices related to the audio system and ensure that they are working properly. If, not replace them.
- Lighting system needs improving too.
- Check all devices related to the lighting system and ensure that they are working properly. If not, replace them.
- Replace the current light system light bulbs with more powerful ones.
Majority of the people think that SST is an eco-friendly place, but some think that there are still some improvements.
1. We suggest to address the issue of the Air cons and fans energy usage situation by implementing a system whereby only one can be turned on at a time.
2. Air cons should be turned on about 20 mins before the start of lessons.
3. For every interval of 10 mins, fans and air cons should take turns to be turned on and off.